Thank you to Brenna O'Brien from the Chicago chapter of Moms Demand Action for joining this month's meeting. MDA is a great national organization (for more than just moms), affiliated with Everytown for Gun Safety, and working with local community organizations like MASK. MDA is fighting for common sense gun laws like universal background checks and establishing gun-free zones and to help change the gun culture in the US focusing on safety and tips on how to engage gun owners about the issue.
Brenna shared a lot of great insight into what Moving Forward can do to support. A quick rundown:
- Text JOIN to 64433 to get alerts from Moms Demand Action
- Join the fight against a federal concealed carry reciprocity law that would make it harder to keep guns off Chicago street. Text RESIST to 64433
- IL SB 1657 which is intended on increasing the rigor to open a gun dealership recently passed the Illinois Senate and is moving the House. Call your Illinois representative to support this bill
- IL SB 50 is in committee now and would make it easier to purchase a silencer. By Monday, May 8th, file a witness slip in opposition to this bill
- On Thursday, May 11th, Moms Demand Action is meeting with legislators in Springfield to talk about common sense gun legislation. If you would like to join the trip, please email email@example.com and we'll connect you with Brenna
- On June 3rd, join MDA at the Wear Orange Party for Peace
Thank you again to Brenna for joining today's meeting!